The ancient parish of Kirkby Overblow covered the five townships of Kirkby Overblow, Sicklinghall, North Rigton, Kearby-with-Netherby and Stainburn.
The first meeting of the Kirkby Overblow Parish Council was held on 3rd May 1895.
For Local Government administration purposes, Kirkby Overblow (Cherchebi*) is now separate from the others, enhanced in 1992 by the inclusion of the hamlet of Dunkeswick (Chesuic*).
Kirkby Overblow is situated 4 miles south-east of Harrogate and 6 miles north west of Wetherby on a high south-facing ridge overlooking the River Wharfe, surrounded by farmland. There are splendid views upstream along Wharfedale towards Otley and to Ilkley Moor beyond.
Dunkeswick is situated 5 miles south of Harrogate, on lower lying land, north of the River Wharfe, west of the A61 Harrogate – Leeds road, surrounded by farmland.
Much of the agricultural land around both Kirkby Overblow and Dunkeswick belonged to the Harewood estate until the great sale in 1951/52 undertaken to meet the heavy duties incurred on the death of the present Earl’s grandfather.
All Saints’ Church, Kirkby Overblow is at the centre of the village, stands 365 feet above sea level and as with the much of the village is clearly visible on the south approach from Harewood.
Currently there are 259 registered electors in Kirkby Overblow and 104 in Dunkeswick.
The Duke of Edinburgh